Sunday, April 06, 2008

50 Not Out

I'm not sure I can believe it. I am 50 years old today! And there's so much I haven't experienced yet. Well time for a resolution, then - to continue to seek out new things to learn and do. And here's the first. "You've always said how you wanted to play the saxophone. Why don't you get one for you birthday?" asked The Missus. So I did. Courtesy of Balaam's Music, I got an ex-rental Jupiter Alto Saxophone for a very reasonable price. I got started with Andy Hampton's Saxophone Basics and could play myself Happy Birthday by 10 am.

So this afternoon we had the first rehearsal for the Tassel Jazz Band, featuring Big Miss on trumpet, Little Miss on piano, Little W on percussion and me on saxophone.

Apologies to the neighbours - it was quite racket! And, guys, next time, why don't we try all playing the same music in the same key at the same time?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!

Good for you - learning something new! My sister is about the same age and she is also learning the sax. She has a teacher who plays backing tracks for her, when she hasn't practiced enough he plays really hard songs! He says 5 pounds is for the lesson and the other 20 is for the torture!!

Christina S said...

Happy Birthday John (albeit a bit belatedly!) - love the jazz band :-D