Saturday, April 12, 2008

Gonville and Caius College Annual Gathering

About every 10 years I get an invite to an Annual Gathering of my old Cambridge college, Gonville and Caius. For some reason or another I missed both the previous two, but this year I decided I would go. And I was very glad I did; I had a great time.

The dinner itself is free, but for £33.50 I got to stay overnight and have breakfast in the morning. I was given a room in Harvey Court, which is where I stayed in my first year in college (1976-7).

It doesn't seem to have changed a bit, beyond network socket and more power outlets in the rooms. I discovered at dinner later why that is - it is now a listed building. Quintessential 1960's, apparently.

The main part of the college itself in in the centre of Cambridge - at the end of Kings Parade, next to the Senate House. They had the college flag flying proudly.

I missed the commemoration service in the chapel, unfortunately, but was there for the drinks before dinner. It is a bit unusual these days to find such formality - black tie and academic dress, for those who merit it, but it does add to the atmosphere. Dinner was held in the hall.

It looks pretty much as I remember it, but there are some new windows, including a stained glass DNA strand, and a couple of new portraits, including one of Stephen Hawking, probably the most famous living member of the college.

The meal, or maybe I should say "feast", was excellent. Pigeon Salad, Sea Bass, Medallions of Beef and a "Poudinge" were followed by a break where the seating was rearranged and then dessert, coffee, toasts and the Master's speech followed. Along the way we were treated to 6 different wines and some fine singing from the balcony from the justly renowned college chapel choir, culminating in us all joining in the college song (I didn't even know there was one).
Then there were further drinks afterwards.

Of the 150 or so people there, I knew only 2 of them well, but that didn't matter. It was really interesting to hear what some others had got up to in the last 30 years or so. Over dessert I sat next to someone who, although a year younger than me was already retired. A lawyer, he had, as someone said, "crammed a lifetime's chargeable hours into 20 years" and didn't need to do any more. Am I envious?

In the morning it was back to hall for the breakfast. I walked through Kings College on my way there. I had forgotten how fabulous Cambridge looks on a bright spring morning.

It's odd, but we never go to Cambridge, even though it is only 40 minutes from Bury St Edmunds. Probably because it's not really a place for kids to visit. But maybe we should try it some time.

No comments: