Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dallas

This is the Westin hotel I was staying in on my business trip to Dallas this week. From the view from the roof of the hotel, I can report that this part of Texas, at least, is flatter than East Anglia! We didn't get out much, but we did get to see the Dealey Plaza, site of the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963.

This view shows the Texas School Book Repository, now housing a museum, the building from which Lee Harvey Oswald fired. Well I'm not going to go into the theories about what really happened - you could do worse than start here to find out.

Just the next block along from the Book Repository, and visible in the picture if you click on it, is Morton's Steakhouse, where we gorged ourselves on the most enormous steaks. Yummy.

So what else is Dallas famous for? Well there's the famous eponymous TV Drama, but we didn't get a chance to visit Southfork. The next time we did get out was the following evening, where we ate at the Cool River Cafe.

I don't know why but, like Morton's, inside it was so dimly lit I could hardly see. Outside was a sign for the modern era..
This Facility is Not Smoke Free
I've never seen one of those before.

Our final escape was on the way back to the airport - we stopped at the Dallas Cowboys Pro Shop.

Here is Little Miss modelling the hat I got her...

I think she likes it. She wore it all day today.

No comments: