Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Enterprising Idea #7

#7 Photo Digitisation Service

Like many people who have taken lots of photographs over many years, I've got a large pile of 35mm slides from the 70's and 80's. I've often thought of digitising them, but having done some experimentation with my flatbed scanner and adapter, I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the results and the time it would take to do each slide individually by this method is horrendous.

I'd noticed that people were advertising a service to digitise your slides for you. Current going rate is about 35p/slide minimum. Maybe I could set up a service to do that myself?

I did a bit of research. I could get scanning equipment and software for between £400 and £1000 (*Here* is a review of some of the options) - better speed and quality costs more. DigMyPics have a really good description of how they do it, with links to good reviews of their equipment.

But there is always a tradeoff. Quality costs time and storage space, but automated batch processing could give disappointing results. No I don't think I could sustain interest in doing it after a few weeks.

Oh, by the way, the picture is of the lake at KilpisjƤrvi in the far north-west of Finland (near the point where Norway, Sweden and Finland all meet) from a 35mm transparency taken in September 1979. I scanned it at 2400 dpi on my Epson Perfection 1260 scanner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Still in need of slide scanning or DVD productions?
Try The Photo Archival Company at www.thephotoarchivalco.com