Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Crunch time

Although this blog is not really about work, I can't not mention what has been happening, as there is some sense of deja vu from the early days of this blog - when I went and took voluntary redundancy.

Not long after I started on Aspire, it became aparent that The Customer had a problem with their budget. Quite a big one, actually. With the 2007 Comprehensive Spending Review there is a requirement to reduce administration costs of the department by 5% a year. And that means they need to reduce spending on IT.

Well, after months of negotiations, an agreement was made for Aspire to commit to a reduction in costs in return for a 3-year extension of the contract. This was closely followed by news that Capgemini would reduce headcount on the account by 20%.

So a formal redundancy programme was announced. Under pressure from the unions, the company agreed to include a voluntary element in the programme....

I did think about it. But I couldn't quite bring myself to volunteer for a second time in less than two years!

But today was the day. Those who have been selected as beeing 'at-risk' of redundancy all got a phonecall today. I was glad I was in London for the day - it can't have been much fun in the offices.

And, in case you're wondering, I didn't get a phone call. So my second life in Shropshire continues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was completely awful in the office and after 21 years I'm glad I'd put my hand up and jumped. We've lost some very good people and that will show over the next few months if not years. It may not be a very good April...

John said...

I'm sure it will be hard for some. Good luck to everybody who leaves. It was a very positive experience for me when I took VR.