Monday, December 11, 2006

Aladdin

A highlight of the run up to Christmas for us is the Bury St Edmunds Theatre Royal Christmas Pantomime. This year it is Aladdin, and it is every bit as good as previous years.

As the theatre is still in the process of being restored, this year's, like last year's is being held in a Big Top in Nowton Park. We went to the first Sunday matinee performance and it was pretty much a full house. There is a walkway from the car park to the Big Top.

It makes an atmospheric venue, with the audience surrounding 3/4 of the stage. Circus is combined with traditional pantomime as the terrific Incandescence Circus Theatre Company add stilt-walking, fire and acrobatics to the story.

No James Nickerson as pantomime dame this year, but Gregory Ashton is a lively Welsh Widow Twanky with an impressive range of costumes.

There are some great set piece songs and dances and some colorful minor parts. Keiron Crook is cool as Djinn, the Genie of the Lamp and Lung the dragon adds chinese character and an excuse for the traditional everyone-join-in song "Lung the magic dragon, lived in a lamp...."

Fabulous entertainment. It continues until 7th January.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There.
My name is Mark and i worked on the Aladdin show in 2006. I made several of the props and set design.

I also worked on this years Cinderella panto. (I created the Owl)

Do you have any more photographs of either performances (Aladdin or Cinerella) as i'd love to see them.

If so, could you please can you email me them?
my address is
markhankins@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you very much.

Mark.

Anonymous said...

Hi There.
My name is Mark and i worked on the Aladdin show in 2006. I made several of the props and many parts of the set.

I also worked on this years Cinderella panto. (I created the Owl)

Do you have any more photographs of either performances (Aladdin or Cinerella) as i'd love to see them.

If so, could you please can you email me them?
my address is
markhankins@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you very much.

Mark.

John said...

Hi Mark,
I've uploaded my other photos to Flickr here. Will email you a link too.

John said...

P.S. Alas we didn't get to see Cinderella, but hopefully this year...