Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Wrekin

In my second life in Shropshire it dominates the skyline for quite a distance and if I see a hill, I always get the urge to get to the top of it. The Wrekin is a well-known local landmark and just has to be climbed. So when the kids came to stay in "The Barn" for the first time, one of the first things I did was to take them to conquer it. We set out from the Forest Glen Car Park, (here on the map), where there are signs explaining both the geology of the hill (and it's companion The Ercall) and the legend of The Giant and the Cobbler.

Admittedly it was the end of a long day, and 3/4 of the way up the girls had had enough...

... so Little W and I left them and forged on to the top alone. Here he is at the top, 1335 ft above sea-level.

"But, Dad, where's the steam?" he asked. I'd told him that the hill was the remains of an old volcano, and everyone knows that volcanoes have steam coming out of them, if not ash and red-hot lava. I had to explain that it was only active volcanoes that did that. I think he was a bit disappointed, but he was proud of getting to the top when his older sisters didn't. And the view is excellent...

Well worth the climb!

No comments: