Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Abbot Consort


A motley crew - or should that be Morley crew?...

Yes, the Abbot Consort has a gig this coming Sunday, 11th June in Bury St. Edmunds Cathedral (4.45pm). Here you can see us rehearsing on Monday evening in the Rocket. I'm the one not there in the tenor line because I was taking the picture. "Where are you going?" grumbled our conductor, Ian, as I wandered off. He likes to keep us on our toes, does Ian. He even insists we sing the right notes.

As it's in the Cathedral, just to be perverse, we're doing an entirely secular programme of madrigals and part songs. "I want you sing this one raucous", said Ian. "How many u's are there in raucous", asked someone intent on annotating their music correctly. "How about having some morris dancers as well?" I suggested. For some reason that idea got rejected. Shame. I think it would be great fun to see morris dancing in the cathedral aisle.

Oh, by the way our conductor is Ian Morgan, not Ian Morley as advertised in the Cathedral Concert Diary. But we will be singing some Thomas Morley (albeit without morris dancers).

No comments: