Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Enterprising Ideas #2 - Tassel Pickles

Well I don't think we'll be able to live on chillis alone, so maybe I'll have to find something else. Another, not unrelated hobby, is pickling. Here is last October's output. If you look carefully (i.e. click on the picture to expand it) you can see our Tassel Pickles labels on the jars.

It started couple of years ago when we had too many chillis from our (then) handful of plants to use up fresh. So I pickled some. Then I was bought The Joy of Pickling for Christmas 2004. An excellent book, with more than 200 pickle recipes from around the world. Now I've pickled all sorts of things in all sorts of ways. The Thai Pickled Carrot recipe is a particular favourite.

But will I be able to compete with Haywards Pickles as a the Premier pickle supplier for Bury St Edmunds? So far I've only given jarfuls away as presents. Maybe if I burned my house down I could sell my pickle for £16 a jar on eBay. How's that for a plan?

No comments: