Thursday, June 29, 2006

Virtual Interview

I was contacted yesterday by Corinne Roper, Web Editor for the BBC Radio Suffolk Website. She is putting together a piece about blogging and wanted my views on some questions. So here are her questions and my answers...

Why write a blog?

This one's quite hard to answer. Let me try the other ones first and then come back to it.

What prompted you to start?

I first started blogging about 3 1/2 years ago as a means of capturing some context around web links and bookmarks I found useful or interesting in doing my job - just for myself. I then realised this would make a useful tool for a team to share such information and I created IS Architect Resources and then The Aspire Conundrum Blog. I later discovered Wikis, which I think make a better collaborative tool for a team, but carried on blogging.

Then two things prompted me to start doing a (public) personal blog.

I decided to apply for the voluntary redundancy programme the company I worked for was running. I felt in need of a break, wanted to get fitter and healthier and lose some weight, and to spend a bit more time with the family. As I’ve always found writing things down a good way of working things out, I thought a blog might be a good way to help me decide what I wanted to do.

Then one day, about the same time, I was looking for information on bottle banks so I did a web search on “Bury St Edmunds recycling” and I came across Don't Bury the Problem which got me reading the brilliant Ruby’s blog. (That article also gave me the idea for the name of my blog).

And then I realised there are lots of great places to visit and things to do around Bury St Edmunds, so I decided I would share what we as a family get up to, as others might be interested.

Have you any background in writing?

Not really. Only that I used to do quite a bit of technical writing in my job.

Where do you get your stories from?

Places I go, pictures I take, things I do or have done, things I read. Just personal experience, really.

Why is blogging good?

It provides a means of self-expression and easy sharing of information/knowledge/experience. Blogging software makes it very easy to create and publish articles. Clicking the publish button and then seeing a neatly formatted article displayed gives me a sense of achievement.

Do you know of any other bloggers in Suffolk?

Ruby's blog has a number of links to other BSE-based blogs. There’s also the Bury Free Press Editor’s blog .

I’m sure there must be more, but I’ve never really gone looking for them – the blogosphere is huge (see here).

How did you hear about blogging?

I don’t remember exactly, but it was through trying to keep technically current, about 3 ½ years ago, probably on some of the technical websites I used to frequent.

Do you recommend blogging?

Yes. It works for me. I’ve always felt more fulfilled in my professional life by producing something myself rather than just managing other people to produce things. A blog helps satisfy my urge to create, albeit in a rather minor way.

What's the best thing about it?

The best thing is getting comments from people who have come across the blog and found something interesting, useful or entertaining about what I’ve written.

What are you most proud of on your blog?

Not sure really. Perhaps Chilli Farm post. What do you think I should be most proud of?

How often do you update your blog?

I try to update it several times a week. There are always more things that could go on the blog than there is time to write down (or sometimes I can’t get into the study to do it if the wife’s working in there).

So back to your initial question…

Why write a blog?

For me, it’s a combination of a number of things. In my professional career, I’ve always been keen to share my knowledge and experience with others and encourage others to do the same. A personal blog extends this to the rest of my life. So it’s for friends and family to keep up with what we are doing, but also to provide other people with information on things to do around here. Secondly, leaving my job after nearly 19 years with the same company was a big step, and creating the blog and sending my ex-colleagues a link, provides a simple way for those who want to keep in touch to do so. And then it is a way for me express what I’ve done, am doing and want to do, so I can work out where I want to go. And, finally, in the longer term, it is provide a record to go back to to supplement the memories of great times had in and around Bury St Edmunds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi John ..... perhaps you could write a topical guide for all B&Bs & guesthouses in & around Bury & sell it to them and the local tourist board ? You could do your own deliveries by bicycle, and a monthly issue of the brochure for under a £1 or something... we have just such a scheme local to ours, A5 in size, and every other page is an advert from a local business in exchange for a small monthly fee to cover costs of production...so that any sales are profit/income... there is a diary page at the back - listing every event for the month worthy of note...

Hm what would be a good title ?

'Bury Interesting' perhaps ?

:o)