Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Constable Country

Although 15 years old the Ordnance Survey Jarrold Pathfinder Guide Norfolk and Suffolk Walks book has some great country walks. (Separate Norfolk and Suffolk Walk books have since been published, but I haven't got round to getting them yet).

Yesterday I decided to do no. 5 - Constable Country. Although it looks a fair distance from Bury St Edmunds on the map, it only took me about 40 minutes down the A14 and A12 to get to the start of the walk at Flatford Mill, now a field study centre.



Ah, yes, I couldn't resist it. One of the things I noticed at the Suffolk Open Studios exhibition, was how many artists are making use of digital techniques in their art. So I thought I'd see what I could do with Constable Country with my simple photo-editing software. (You may need to click to expand the pictures to see the effects better).

Here is Bridge Cottage...



...and here is Willie Lotts' House...



The walk goes across the fields, up the hill into East Bergolt, then back down to Dedham Vale...



into Dedham (the mill is now a block of flats) and then back along the River Stour...



...to Flatford, where I ate my packed lunch on a bench by the National Trust tea room. An excellent walk, with great scenery. Now, if I print them out big in full resolution and frame them, what do you think people would pay for my pictures? No more than the cost of the frame, I suspect!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very picturesque! Constable walk is a 'classic'. I would also recommend Michel Anderton's guides as a source of 'walking inspiration'.

John said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll seek them out.