Monday, June 19, 2006

Out Damn Spot

For some time, I've had trouble with my camera - a nasty fuzzy dark spot appears in the same place in a lot of pictures, particularly in bright conditions. Sometimes I can even see two of them. Here's an example from our explore at Great Livermere on Saturday to show what I mean...



But then after searching about I came across an article on The Camera Shed which described the problem exactly, and, even better, how to cure it without paying £85 for it to be fixed. Yes I had got some dust on the CCD...

Dire warnings like..
It's not a simple task and I've given it a 5 star rating as you'll need a steady hand and nerves of steel and have to keep an observant eye on how things fit together when you take them apart and put them back together again.

..failed to put me off, but my first go ended in failure when I couldn't undo the 11th screw. But yesterday I had another go and, success, I got into the CCD and found 2 white specks. How on earth did they get in? Then I had the even harder job of putting the camera back together again. Boy, it was fiddly trying to get some of the screws back in, but the camera seems to working OK now. And no more spots! Yey! Excellent instructions and illustrations Matt!

And, er.. no, I don't think I'll take up camera repair work as a new career.

No comments: