Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wyken Hall

It's years since I last visited, so, with a lovely afternoon and a couple of hours to spare before picking up little Miss from school yesterday, I decided to take a trip to Wyken Hall, near Stanton - only about 10 miles away.



A quintessential Suffolk estate once occupied by the Romans and recorded in Domesday. A romantic Elizabethan manor house, home of the Carlisle family.
says their website. Quite so, although I'm not sure there are a lot of estates with vineyards. The gardens are quite delightful - the scent in the rose garden, where this picture was taken is wonderful.

The Leaping Hare Vineyard restaurant has been in the Good Food Guide since 1994. I rather liked this sign they had by the doors...


I was wishing I'd gone earlier and had some lunch. But I bought a bottle of their Sonata wine to take home instead. It went great with our tuna steaks for dinner!

2 comments:

Christina S said...

This is great John, you are putting together some really good info here. We used the info you put on your post about Bradfield Woods to visit it recently - including the map you linked. I'd never been there but it's a place I've always wanted to visit. It was raining heavily when we got there but that made it all the more atmospheric in the woods.
Keep it up!!

John said...

Thanks for the feedback, Ruby. It's good to know people are finding the posts of interest.