Sunday, September 24, 2006

St Kilda

Last Sunday some of my new workmates invited me to join them on a trip to St Kilda. (Actually we went to the Melbourne Observation Deck first).

We took a No. 96 tram from Bourke St, which got us there in about 20 minutes. We got off shortly before the Luna Park amusement park and walked to it along the Sunday street craft market.

We decided the smiling face gate looked just a little bit sinister. Like something from a 1970's horror movie, I thought. But it was the beach we had come to see, with its sands and view of Port Phillip Bay.

I wished I had changed into my shorts before coming out, as it was really quite warm and pleasant. So I had to roll my trousers up to go for a paddle.

Yes. That's me. A year ago I would never have dreamed that I'd be paddling in the water on the south coast of Australia right now.

We took a walk along the pier. As you can see, we are really not too far from the centre of the city.
There were signs up about not disturbing the penguins. We didn't see any, but a local told us there were about 1000 of them living in the vicinity.

By now we were getting a bit hungry, so we wandered up Fitzroy St and chose this Italian restaurant for something to eat.

The portions were huge, but I can't say we were too impressed with the food. Pat took most of hers away in a doggie bag for later. So then it was back on the tram to head for 'home'.

2 comments:

Christina S said...

You lucky beggar, that sea looks soooo nice!

:-)

John said...

It was inviting. I could have had a swim, I think, if I'd taken my swimming things. Now you wouldn't be doing that in the North Sea in spring, would you?