Thursday, September 21, 2006

Melbourne Observation Deck

One of the things to do in Melbourne to orient yourself, is to go up to the Melbourne Observation Deck. The view is quite something!

The Rialto Tower, which houses it, is impressive enough without going up it. I love those cloud reflections.

Here's the view looking east across the CBD.

Flinders St station looks tiny in comparison with the skyscrapers.

South of the Yarra (the South Bank) has the Eureka Tower.

My guide book says it will be taller than the Rialto when finished. It is finished now, but it doesn't look taller to me. In the middle distance you can see the famous MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground), host not only to the boxing day Test Matches, but the AFL 'footie' grand final, coming up at the end of September.

It's quite fun looking down on more ordinary skyscrapers.

This was not the only one that had a children's play area on the roof. I don't think the missus would be too keen on the little ones playing there! And some roofs had tennis courts. I must remember to watch out for falling tennis balls as I walk the streets.

Looking south-west you can see the docklands and Port Phillip bay.

If you keep going in that direction you get to the famous Great Ocean Road. I hope I get to sample something of it one weekend before I have to go home.

While I was up the tower I momentarily made the elementary navigation error of a Brit Down Under. Looking towards the sun, it being around midday, I thought, "That's funny. Shouldn't I be looking towards the sea if I'm facing south?".

That reminds me. As a boy in South Africa, my primary school teacher was explaining that the sun is always in the North. "But if you are in the northern hemisphere, is the sun always in the South?", asked smarty-pants. "No. Of course not." was the answer. Hmm.

2 comments:

Mark McLellan said...

John. Nice piccies. Enjoy the city. Mary and I spent five very pleasant days there round boxing day 2000. See Oz Slide show [warning large file sizes].

John said...

Ooh yes. Nice pictures Mark. I've got the fairy tree on my list of things to visit. Not sure I'll be able to get to the Blue Mountains, though.