Sunday, September 17, 2006

Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens

"The Royal Botanic Gardens are well worth a visit" said James, my account manager at the contract agency. He was right.

Just a short walk from the city centre, the other side of the Yarra, the Royal Botanic Gardens is a rambling green space full of exotic plants, huge trees and inviting lawns.

I rather liked these purple spikes.

There were also azaleas in bloom and a wisteria that climbed higher than any I'd ever seen. Yet this is still mid-September, and thus the equivalent of mid-March at home. Things must come earlier here.

The gardens contain hills and lakes. The ornamental pond meanders around the centre of the gardens.

Here are some more plants I liked.

These succulents remind me that Victoria is suffering from a water shortage. It seems to be an issue here, and arguably a symptom of global warming.

It was lovely to see all the people picnicking on the lawns. A great place to come and relax, I think. Furthermore...

but no, I think I'll save my favourite bit for another post.

No comments: