Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Queen Victoria Market

I think Bury St Edmunds market is pretty good. It has plenty of choice, variety and quality.

But Melbourne has a market, the Queen Victoria Market, besides which it pales into insignificance. It is so big you need to signs to find your way around.

I particularly like the delicatessen area.

Look at these sausages!

There are plenty of meat stalls, with huge cuts of meat of all descriptions, including various cuts of goat and "doggie bones" - bones for the dog, rather than bones of dog.

I bought 2 huge Mexican sausages here. "Only two?" asked the man serving me. I explained I only had myself to feed. "But you must buy some for your girlfriend for a barbecue", he said. I explained that my wife was at home in England. "But then you still must have a barbecue with your girlfriend", he retorted with a grin.

As well as visiting the delicatessen and meat areas I stocked up on fruit and vegetables from the huge array of greengrocer stalls. There are various eating places and tables around serving a variety of yummy smelling food. But then what did I spy?

Aargh, is no place safe? If you look carefully, here, just over the road from all that fantastic food, you can see the ubiquitous dreaded golden arches!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like sausages John, next time you visit the market buy a bratwurst from the bratwurst stall in the deli area. Its located not far from the door out to the street with those dammed golden arches in it. The bratwursts are famous all over Melbourne and most people I know that shop at the market cannot resist them. That with a nice coffee rounds off the perfect market visit for me.
Glad to know you are enjoying your time in Melbourne! Ex Bury girl.

John said...

I saw them! In fact I was going to buy one, but the queue was too large. I must get one next time.