Sunday, September 24, 2006

Day out in Sydney

On Friday, still in my first week in the job, I had a trip up to the company's Australian headquarters in Sydney for some meetings. It doesn't look to far on the map, but it's actually over 400 miles from Melbourne to Sydney, so the bunch of us travelling had quite a early start to get there for 9 o'clock.

The office is situated in Macquarie Park, North Ryde some way north of the city centre and quite some way from the airport. My first impressions of Sydney were not encouraging - too much traffic, too much concrete and too many roadworks, but there was some pretty spring blossom beside the road in places.

The office environment was pleasant and I was made very welcome. At the end of the day I was given a T-shirt, hat, document briefcase and a beer. And, furthermore, my friend Geoff, who had orchestrated getting me out to Australia, took me to his home for dinner with his wife Di. "I'm just dying to hear what you think of us Aussies.", he said. "Well I'll have to put it on the blog then.", I replied.

It came time for me to go to my hotel. Except I'd lost my printout from Anthea with the details. I must have put it down on the desk when I was handed the bottle of beer. "Don't worry.", said Geoff. "There are only 4 hotels it could be and they are all close to each other. I'll take you." So he drove me back towards the office (he lives only a few minutes drive away) and we stopped off at the Travellodge.

"This may sound a silly question, but have I got a reservation here tonight?", I asked. That brought a grin to the receptionist's face. No I didn't. So next we tried the new Marriot Courtyard across the road from the office. Yes that was it. Phew!

So many thanks to Geoff and Di for their kind hospitality.

And on Saturday I got a day of sightseeing in Sydney before my flight back to Melbourne in the evening.

I took the free shuttle bus to the Sydney Harbour Marriot, where I was able to leave my bags for the day, and was soon at Circular Quay. What better way to start than take a boat cruise around the bay?

I bought an explorer ticket and took the 2 hour trip with Captain Cook Cruises.

An avuncular guide gave us a running commentary of what we could see and who lived where. Not only that, but a guide to the house prices too. They are horrifying!

Of course I took lots of pictures including the opera house from every angle - it is an amazing place, but I'll resist putting any of those here. The bridge is pretty impressive too.

Yes those dots are people on top of the bridge. I was sorry I didn't have enough time to climb up there myself.

I got off at Darling Harbour and saw there was a Chinese Garden. I decided to investigate and was very glad I did. It is a charming oasis in the middle of a big city.

I had my lunch in the teahouse there.

Half the day was gone and I hadn't started on Geoff's suggestions on what to do!

I walked back through the city centre to Circular Quay and on to The Rocks, one of the few remaining bits of old Sydney. Opposite Argyle Terrace, I sat in the square for a while and listened to Slide McBride and his jazz band. They were excellent.

From there I went back round circular quay and into the Royal Botanic Gardens, out to the Opera House and round to Mrs Macquarie's point. I have to say that I would refute Melbourne's claim to have the best Botanic Gardens. Sydney's is better, to my mind, but it's a close run thing.

I thought this bottle tree was pretty amazing.

Anyway, I had a great day. It was lovely and sunny with temperature of about 27 degrees. And I saw a lot, including no less than 4 weddings - one at the Chinese garden, one at the Rocks just by the end of the harbour bridge and two in the botanic gardens. I was pretty tired by the time I got back to my 'home' in Melbourne!

You can see a full set of photos here on Flickr.

No comments: