Wednesday, September 20, 2006

No climate, just weather

I had my induction session with The Company on Monday. Boy was that hilarious. Not only was I rejoining a company I'd worked for for umpteen years, (and still had to attend an induction session), but Mark P, who was giving it, had met me in the UK earlier this year before I left. He looked really confused when he saw me!

Anyway I am now back at work, but I hope to keep the blog going. Forgive me if I eke out the weekends over the following week.

One thing that Melbourne is reknowned for is the fickleness of its weather. "You can experience all four seasons in one day", it is alleged. I'm beginning to believe it. Yesterday was a record temperature for September - 30.2 degrees C! Yes it has that Summer Feeling. Yet today the temperature was more like 18 degrees.

It reminds of a time, many years ago, when I was a student. Sat in a pub in Cambridge, with grey skies, a chilly breeze and a horrible drizzle outside, at the beginning of June, an American friend said mournfully "This country doesn't have a climate - it just has weather". Yes. So far, Melbourne seems to be a bit like that.

Update Mon. 25th Sept. The weather yesterday was quite wild with winds up to 100kmph and some lashing rain. And the forecast is for snow on the hills not far from Melbourne today!

No comments: