Thursday, September 14, 2006

Interred Down Under - I've arrived!

Gosh it's a long way from Bury St Edmunds to Melbourne.

No pictures yet, I'm afraid. I managed to get my camera stolen on the train to Liverpool St. But apart from that, everything went fine.

Heathrow Terminal 4 is nice enough when you get through check-in and security (which took me 1 1/2 hours) and the Tube station there is due to reopen this Sunday (it's been closed for 20 months). I flew Qantas taking off at about 11:00 pm, via Singapore, where we had about 1 1/2 hour stop. (There wasn't time to do much more than have a walk around the terminal facilities and then check in for the 2nd leg). The first leg takes about 12 hours, during which we gained 7 hours, so it was about 6pm local time that we arrived, having just been served breakfast. Then it was another 7 hours to Melbourne (gaining another 2 hours)and we were served breakfast again just before we arrived. So that was 2 breakfasts in the space of about 8 hours!

I didn't bother watching the films or other entertainment on the screen on the back of the seat in front of me. Instead I kept the display on the changing maps showing where we were, how fast we were going, what height we were at, etc. It brings home what a small place Britain is when it disappears off the map so quickly, but getting across the Ukraine, a corner of Russia, Afghanistan and India takes so long. And then, when we finally crossed the northwest coast of Australia, we still had 2000 miles to go. Wow!

Yes it was a long journey, but it's remarkably quick considering the distances. We had a tail wind from Singapore and got up to 1038 km/hr - that's 645 mph. And, in about 19 hours flying I travelled half as far as the Missus's car has travelled in 4 years!

We arrived at 4:50 am. I was met at the airport and taken to my apartment hotel. These sorts of hotel are a pretty good idea - a serviced flat in a building with all the usual hotel facilities too. I've got a separate bedroom (with en suite) and living and dining area with a kitchen at the end fitted with cooker, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier. And, of course, a broadband connection, so I was able to draft this post before I set off to find my new job.

My brain knows it is only 6:30 in the morning, but the rest of my body is not so sure. Almost as strange as the time shift is the season shift. It is early spring here and feels chillier than at home.

Well I better go and find my new workmates and get a few things sorted out so I can start work on Monday. More anon.

3 comments:

John said...

I've just realised that blogger thinks I'm still at home and given the post a tiestamp in UK time. It was actually created at 6:52 am on Friday, Melbourne time.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you had a pretty uneventful trip. We're looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Aussieland, and seeing pics once you replace the camera. That surely must be your first priority! I sent Keith off with one of our old ones on a scouting trip this weekend, and promptly forgot mine when I took Liam to the school carnival last night. I need to put a spare in the car!

John said...

Jacqui,
You are quite right. Apart from making sure I'd done what was needed to get paid, a new camera was first on the list.
I'm not sure I've got it completely sussed yet, but it seems to wrok quite nicely.