Saturday, July 08, 2006

Bradfield St Clare

After my trip to Hoxne earlier this week, I though I'd go and see where the other site postulated for the death and original burial of St Edmund - Bradfield St Clare.

It's only a short cycle ride from Bury St Edmunds. I went up Mount Rd, turned right past the Rougham Industrial estate, crossed under new A14 Rougham junction, turned right at Blackthorpe Barn, left onto Elderstub Lane and Eastlowhill roman road, then right and immediately left at the next T-junction, past Maynard House Orchard, to get to the church. [By the way, Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches website is a wonderful resource on Suffolk churches and their parishes]. The church wasn't open, but I was able to shelter from a shower in the porch while I studied the map.

I carried on towards Cockfield and found the track going to Sutton Hall, where St Edmund may have been buried, but it was signed as a private road after 100 yards or so, so I didn't venture any further and returned to the village centre.

Yes, there is not a lot to Bradfield St Clare. The 2001 census puts the population at 140. There are some lovely houses, though. Here's St Clare cottage...

and here's the rather impressive tree-lined drive leading to St Clare Hall...

I carried on via Maypole Green and Hollybush Corner toward Little Whelnetham, turning right onto the roman road again, to return the way I came. A pleasant little ride.

No comments: