Thursday, July 20, 2006

Further Enterprising Ideas

#6 Home Inspector

Here's one that has just died. From 1st June next year, all home sellers have to provide a Home Information Pack (HIP). One of the main components of the pack is a Home Condition Report - an objective report on the condition of the property that can be relied upon by buyers, sellers and mortgage lenders. It is designed to be similar to the current Homebuyer Survey and Valuation - not as detailed as full structural survey but a lot more extensive than a mortgage lender's valuation inspection.

These reports are to be produced by trained Home Inspectors, and it has been estimated that about 7500 of them are needed. Companies like HomeInspectors.co.uk have sprung up to provide training and over 4400 people are currently undergoing training. It could be a useful niche job, with reasonable income prospects - I've seen suggestions of maybe £300/survey, and that you could expect to do 2 a day. Yes. I think I could do that.

I'd got as far as looking at what training was needed, although I suspected it was not really for me. But it has just been reported that the plans have changed - see this Times Online Article. Home Condition Reports are now no longer going to be mandatory when HIPS become compulsory on 1st June next year. It remains to be seen if they ever will.

I'm glad I'm not one of the 4400!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rather fortunate that you didn't persue this any further given the press today (20 July). All those poor souls that have spent £7-15k on trainnig courses that may now amount to nothing!

John said...

Yes it is. I think some of them are planning on suing the government. Good luck to them!