Monday, November 27, 2006

Asian Food Delight

I've been staying in Russell St, Melbourne, close to the corner with Little Bourke St. This is pretty much the centre of Melbourne's Chinatown, and the location has heavily influenced my cooking while I've been here. Just across the road is this wonderful Asian food supermarket.

It is always busy. The aisles are all labelled in English, but not so all the goods. I almost felt I was in Asia shopping there - I don't remember seeing any other white Caucasian males on any of my forays.

I've never seen so many varieties of chilli sauce. And I got a 16 oz jar of delicious pickled whole chillis from Thailand a few weeks ago. They are really quite hot and I don't think I'll get through them before I leave unless I start having some for breakfast. About 4 a day will do it. On second thoughts, no, not for breakfast.

No comments: