Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Melbourne Cup Day

Today was a public holiday in Melbourne. Why? It is Melbourne Cup day.

Is there anywhere else that has a public holiday for a horse race? I thought I'd hop on a train to Flemington race track to see what it was all about. I'd never seen such a well-dressed train-load of people. Everybody had their glad rags on. And what a lot of them. I'd never been part of a crowd of over 100,000 people before.

I was down on the trackside by the parade ring and 400m marker. The roses around the parade ring were lovely, but it made it a bit difficult to see the horses. Here there was a water wagon.

Was it because it was chilly and grey day that I never saw anybody take a drink from it? I think not. The Fleur de Lys sparklng wine was being guzzled at a fair rate. I asked one guy if had had any winners. "Nah, mate. I don't bet. I'm only here to get drunk", he said.

For the big race, I had my money on No.5, Geordieland, the only grey in the race, ridden by Frankie Dettori.

I knew that's what the missus would have put her money on, being brought up in Geordie country and 5 is her favourite number.

And here they are thundering past.

No Geordieland didn't win. I sould have known. The missus is useless at picking winners. To the surprise of many, the Japanese horses Delta Blue and Pop Rock finished first and second. The biggest races are an international business these days.

I stayed to watch the next race before getting the train back to Flinders St. Yes it was a good day out.

No comments: