Sunday, November 05, 2006

Dandenong Creek

Yesterday I took advantage of the Metlink Sunday Saver ticket again and went to the end of the Glen Waverley line to the east of Melbourne - still not out of the suburbs, but close to a string of parks along Dandenong Creek. This was my target for my Sunday afternoon walk. I saw this sign at the edge of the path through a conservation area, which reminded me that 9 of the 10 deadliest species of snake in the world can be found in Australia. I overheard one mother saying to her worried daughter, that the sign just meant that, if you keep your eyes open, you might lucky enough to see one. I think it was more likely to be there in case anyone actually got bitten - then they wouldn't be able to sue saying they hadn't been warned.

I started my Dandenong Creek walk in Jells Park. Close to the car park there were plenty of large family groups enjoying a Sunday picnic or barbecue. Drifting across the park I heard the sounds of some mellow jazz. When I got to the tearoom and information centre, I discovered they have jazz there every Sunday afternoon.

I went down to the lake, which was created in the 1970's.

I walked along the path to the south end of Jells Park. This sight reminded me of the Bury St Edmunds Circular Walk back home.

You have to get the power to the people somehow, I suppose.

Dandenong Creek itself is no bigger than the River Lark, and as I headed north from Jells Park it still felt quite suburban, albeit with pleasant views of the Dandenong Ranges across fields until I came to Shepherd's Bush.

This was more like being out in the bush. No, I didn't see any snakes, but I did watch my step!

No comments: