Monday, October 30, 2006

Bayside Walk

On Sundays you can get a Metlink Sunday Saver ticket for $2.50 (about £1) that allows you unlimited travel on Melbourne's buses, trains and trams. Pretty good value, when you consider what it covers! I set out to go to Stony Point, at the far southern end of the network, about 65 km from the centre of Melbourne, but the train service ended at Cheltenham and was replaced by a (slower) bus. I had set out a bit late to attempt that anyway, but, as the saying goes, "Better to travel hopefully...".

I got off the bus at Chelsea and had a walk back northwards along the beach towards Sandringham. Here's the view from Edithvale looking south-west towards the Mornington Peninsula.

All these English names around the place are quite amusing, especially when you find juxtapositions like Blackburn being only about a mile from Canterbury and Sandringham bordering on Brighton. These beach huts reminded me of the Suffolk coast.

Little Miss wanted to know if the beaches I went to along the Great Ocean Road had lots of shells and was disappointed when I said that ones I went to didn't. But here are some on the shore of Port Phillip Bay.

At Mordialloc I came to this yacht club, but there didn't seem to be many boats out.

I didn't actually make it all the way to Sandringham (although it's not nearly as far from Chelsea as it is in England), but I did enjoy my bayside walk.

No comments: