Monday, October 30, 2006

Melbourne Aquarium

One of the attractions in the city centre is Melbourne Aquarium. Knowing how much Little Miss loves sealife, I thought I'd visit and take some pictures for her.

"Always something new to sea"... Ho ho! Australians seem to be as fond of punning phrases as the Brits.

I did like watching the jellyfish, although I do remember being stung by a Portuguese Man-of-War jellyfish as a youngster in South Africa, and it was no fun, I can assure you.

Finding Nemo is a favourite film of ours, so I had to take a picture of the clownfish.

These baby turtles are only a few months old.

Towards the end of the tour you get to the "Ocean Down Under" where you get to see the Deep Water trench with the sharks and stingray. Here is where they give talks at the end of the tank.

And then they have this simulator - the "Ice Run Ride". Entertaining, yes, but what the heck is it doing in an Aquarium?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John, great blog - my wife and I are from BSE too but have Australian PR and are in the process of moving to Melbourne. Did you try a hook turn when you hired the car? Hardest bit is being ready to go when the light changes. Also have you been to the Immigration museum yet, $6 entry and quite facinating.

John said...

Yes I have done a hook turn. When I had the hire car to do the Great Ocean Rd, I ad to do one at the first junction I came to, within 100m of getting into the car! Fortunately it was early in the monring so there was hardl any traffic.