Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Suzannah Espie and Big Boy Lemonade

No I've not heard the Elevator music yet, but tonight I did get to a Melbourne Festival Fringe concert.
On very special occasions Suzannah Espie and Big Boy Lemonade (Andrew Ogburn) take time out from their individual musical pursuits to get together and pay homage to the music that has inspired them throughout the years; the best of the blues, gospel and jazz greats with just a voice and a piano, stripped back and soulful, just the way they like it.
said the website. So I hopped on a no 57 tram to North Melbourne Town Hall, arriving just as they started at 9:15pm. And, boy, did it live up to its billing! Sultry soulful singing, that the missus would have loved, and pianistic fireworks that would gobsmack Big Miss (who is shortly to take her first piano exam). I particularly liked the slow numbers. Yeah! And what's more, it was free!

They are on again at the same time, same place next week. I think I might go back.

No comments: