Sunday, October 29, 2006

South Melbourne

Saturday morning was cold. It snowed overnight in Tasmania and in the hills in Victoria and I was woken by hail rattling my 18th floor window. It dried up but there was still a stiff southerly wind as I headed out to get some fresh air. I decided a walk on a beach was called for.

The shortest trip to the edge of Port Phillip Bay from where I am in the Melbourne CBD (as the Central Business District is called), is to take a No. 1 tram to South Melbourne Beach.

I've noticed that Saturday mornings are a time for organised sports. Here I saw 6 teams of girls battling it out at beach volleyball - quite tricky with that strong crosswind.

Port Phillip Bay is mostly quite shallow, but the water was rather less flat than when I went to St Kilda, just along the bay.

I walked west along the beach towards Port Melbourne. There is plenty of redevelopment and regeneration going on in Melbourne - the new Dockside development is a prime example (I've just realised I'd forgotten to a blog posting about that). Here is a small example of the old making way for the new.

Port Melbourne is where the ferry to Tasmania docks. It looks rather smart. I bet the kids would want to go on it.

I took the No. 109 tram back to town centre, suitably invigorated.

No comments: