Sunday, October 15, 2006

Martin Martini

I never did get to Suzannah Espie and Big Boy Lemonade's other concert as I was having my Aussie Dinner. But as the Melbourne Festival Fringe was finishing this weekend, I thought I'd take another trip to Melbourne Town Hall for a concert. It does make a good venue and was buzzing when I arrived.

The concert was given by the Melbourne band Martin Martini and The Bone Palace Orchestra, a funky combination of keyboard, violin, clarinet, trombone, tuba, percussion and vocals.

As this advert for their forthcoming gigs at the Spiegeltent says..
An unlikely and formidable ensemble of freaks, misfits and creatures. The Bone Palace Orchestra crash funk with junk and circus with jazz, waltz, swing, blues and gypsy to stir your vitals like a wooden spoon in a steaming vat of offal. Bedlam in a bathtub. Falling off a Ferris Wheel. This is fat vaudevillian rock'n'roll.
Quite. "Smile - You're all going to die", was the memorable chorus line of one of the songs which were littered with black humour and anarchy. Fantastic.

No comments: