Monday, October 16, 2006

Fitzroy

Yesterday morning I hopped on a tram to Fitzroy, an inner suburb of Melbourne. I started at the top end of Brunswick St and walked back towards the city centre.

Fitzroy is reputed to be bohemian, artistic and trendy. This seat was certainly different.

Shame about the graffiti. It was everywhere. Some of it is rather artistic, but I don't think it belongs on the side of buildings like this.

I did rather like this flower shop, though.

Some of the side streets are rather pretty. There seemed to be a lot of 19th century architecture. Here is a typical set of railings.

The Black Cat cafe is a bit of a Fitzroy institution. The tables outside are pleasantly surrounded by greenery.

I wonder what it will look like in 3 months time. It is spring here, yet it hasn't rained more than a few drops here since I got here nearly a month ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,
You are really making the most of your trip. Amazing how much you can get done without the kids! Keith is on his way to the desert, via Greece, and had an unscheduled stop in the UK yesterday. He spent the night in Newmarket and has apparently sent me two care packages..... hopefully filled with Walkers Cheese & Omion crisps, and chocolate!
We're hoping he'll be home in time for Christmas. Hope are the folks back doing?

Anonymous said...

I should have read my message before publishing. I meant to ask "How are the folks back home doing?"

John said...

Hi Jacqui, Well it would be better with the kids here too, but, as you've spotted, I'm trying to make the most of being here. I do enjoy the Sypoe calls home though, and seeing the smiling faces. They seem to be doing OK, but I think the pile of mail for me to open is nearly off the desk now.