Friday, May 12, 2006

OMG - Now I've done it!


After nearly 19 years with the company I applied for the Voluntary Redundancy scheme and they are letting me go! Well fancy that. Most of my colleagues can't believe my luck. They are offering me 10 months salary to go and find a new job. And there are plenty out there. So I've accepted. Gulp. But it will give me a chance to have a couple of months in the sun, and explore a few places while I get fitter, and do some blogging as I go. And I've had two job offers from colleagues in Australia already!

Oh. By the way. The picture is not from around here, it's the company's European headquarters in Aldershot. Rather a nice working environment actually, on the site of a former Royal Pavilion. The smell of the lavendar when it is out is wonderful. But one thing I'm not going to miss is the day trips to Aldershot (5 1/2 hrs in the car yesterday) or the mostly pretty crummy hotels in the area (I must have stayed in them all - drop me a message if you need any recommendations). Possibly my last trip there yesterday, but I haven't got an agreed leaving date yet.

I think the fitness thing must be working. When I got back I had the urge to go for a ride. I only went 3/4 way to Thurston as it was getting dark, but 9 bunnies and a partridge crossed the cycle path in front of me. I enjoyed that. Much better than slumping in front of the TV with a glass of whatever.

6 comments:

Christina S said...

Congrats John, how exciting - you are about to be freeee! Whoo hooo! Hope you're celebrating with a Greene King beer or two tonight.

(Thanks for the Times article on flowers by the way, it was interesting reading and useful as I have a post on "flowery stuff" brewing, LOL!)

John said...

Thanks. Yes I'm really looking forward to it. Yes lets go for flower power. I've a few pixs I can post.

Anonymous said...

Our loss, John!

Hope you do well. If you or your family are ever in the US - Washington, DC - come stay with us. Home number is 301-560-4600.

If you ever want to come back to CSC, I'll find something interesting for you.

Gordon

Anonymous said...

Well done - good choice! Keep in touch

Anonymous said...

Free At Last!
Free At Last!
A Voice from the past - Hope all is good - what a nice accident of Googling for GWB - 2 with one stone.

David
David [at] Lapes [.] Net

Anonymous said...

Hi John
I just happened to come across your blog- on looking up Royal Pavillion. I was the landscape designer for the CSC European HQ development and designed the lavender garden and oversaw the selection and growing of 4000 lavender plants for it. It was a career highlight for me. I remember it was like an aromatherapy session walking to reception when they were in full flower and I loved the way you got different views from the offices and walking around the edge or along the wall looking through the windows.
regards
Karen