Saturday, May 06, 2006

Swimming in Bury St Edmunds


As part of my get fitter campaign, I thought I'd start doing some regular swimming too. The Bury Leisure Centre has recently reopened and has a great new pool. So I checked out the Swimming Brochure and saw the main pool was open on Friday mornings. "Big Splash 10am to 12noon" it said. Perfect. I'd taken the day off work to go to the Beer Festival, what better penance than getting some swimming in first? So off I went.

It wasn't very busy - in fact the staff seemed to outnumber the swimmers. They smiled and said hello and I set off to do some lengths. Coming to the end of my second length the lady in charge came up to me and asked if I'd like to use any of the equipment. Somewhat puzzled, I replied "No, I'd just like to do some lengths, thank-you". "Oh", she said. "You do realise this is a session for disabled, don't you?". No I didn't. Perhaps the brochure should have explained. "Did they just let you in?". "Yes I said". "Oh dear. They shouldn't have done that". "Well I'm here now." I was thinking maybe I should get out. "You don't suffer from arthritis or anything, doing you?" she asked. "Well, I do have a bit of asthma." "Oh that's all right then!". And I was left to do my lengths.

5 comments:

Christina S said...

LOL John, I also went to the big splash once, before the leisure centre closed, but I think they just let anyone else in at the same time then - the pool was mainly full special needs students from the college, and I did indeed get splashed as I was doing my lengths!! It was quite fun in the end!!

Do you find it annoying that they've shortened the pool? I tend to do quite a few lengths (30-50) and found that extra bit on the end made a big difference. Oh well. Good luck with the keep fit campaign, I also need to re-start one at some point.

John said...

It's long enough for me. But, then, when I was a Junior Dolphin, the pool I swam in was scarcely bigger than a puddle.

Anonymous said...

this session now states it is for disabled swimmers only

Anonymous said...

your swimming time table needs updating as it has now changed

John said...

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for leting people know you stumble across here