Sunday, May 21, 2006

On yer bike


Oo er, it's coming soon. My last day with the company. Did you know that if you buy a bike through your employer, you can get tax relief? This article explains how. It was introduced as part of the Green Travel Plan (GTP) in 1997. A bit late for me now. But my existing not-so-sturdy steed does me fine.

I suppose that, after taking a bit of time off, it will be on my bike to follow the advice of Norman Tebbit in 1981. As it says in the Wikipedia entry
In the aftermath of urban riots (Handsworth riots and Brixton riot) in the summer of 1981, Tebbit responded to a suggestion that the rioting was caused by unemployment by saying:

I grew up in the 1930s with an unemployed father. He did not riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he went on looking until he found it.

This exchange was the origin of the attribution to Tebbit of the slogan On yer bike!. Tebbit is often misquoted as saying directly to the unemployed "get on your bike and look for work" as a consequence of his speech.


Well, never mind that. Here are some pictures from my ride this morning. I loved the wisteria on this garage in Thurston.

Beyton's All Saints Church is really unusual, with its funny round tower. It looks like it has had its top chopped off (like the poppies I was mourning the other day).

Just up the road in Hesset there are some lovely old houses. Look at the decorative plasterwork here. Amazing (if I dare use that word - yes we watched the Eurovision Song Contest last night). I love the peacock. (You might need to click on the picture to expand it to see it).


This signpost near Rougham is not so easy to get directions from. Fortunately, I knew which way I wanted to go.


This quintessential Suffolk farmhouse just begged to be photographed.


Near Rushbrooke, is a typical Suffolk sight. Pigs. They looked pretty happy.


Oh that reminds me. I better check on the lunch. We're having roast pork today.

1 comment:

buryblue said...

love the pictures especially the sign in the bush.