Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Where's the Bin?


I spotted an article in Ruby's blog's February Archive (the whole blog's really worth reading, by the way), where she says that Bury St Edmunds has rather nice bins. I agree. I spotted this one at the weekend. It made me wonder what this "Women's Gas Federation" is (don't get me started on apostrophes - go and see Eats Shoots & Leaves instead) and why they have a plaque on a bin.

Well, according to Wikipedia
In 1953 the Women's Gas Federation was founded, providing a social forum for women where the use of gas in the home could be promoted.

How quaint. How Bury St. Edmunds. According to the National Archives the Suffolk Record Office Bury St. Edmunds Branch hold records of the BSE Women's Gas Federation from 1954-1993 - it would appear that British Gas withdrew funding in 1994. Fair enough, I suppose. 40 years is long enough to learn to use any new technology, to my mind. But, how about a Parents Internet Federation then? No, I just can't see myself (or the missus, for that matter) sitting around drinking cups of tea and debating the merits of Blogger. Anyway, the Women's Gas Federation seems to have been condemned to the bin of history. Well, why else is the plaque there, then?

Oh, I nearly forgot - the answer to the question in the title is...
..opposite the Corn Exchange...
... unless you live in somewhere like Leeds, for example ;-), where the answer might be "I's bin to Huddersfield, where's thee bin?".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting....

:-)

Christina S said...

Ha ha ha ha! What a very Bury St Edmundsy thing to have on a bin.

I am very disappointed WGF is no longer in existence, I was going to go and sign up ;-)

As fer where av bin, av bin tert pub luv. Worrit good at' Corn Exchange then?

(dangerous to get Ruby started on Leeds speak, she doesn't stop)

PS Thanks for the link and nice mention :-)